2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2012 11:51 AM by rachelpowers RSS

How many do consider deaf and hard of hearing when we discuss 21st century updates?

jeroybal New User
Currently Being Moderated

I am a parent of a deaf child/young man and a certified and degreed educational interpreter. I am curious to see if the mainstream has improved itself over the last 15 years.

How many have and do consider deaf and hard of hearing (d/hoh) students when we discuss educational 21st century updates? Have you had any training with working with your d/hoh student and their interpreter? Would you feel more comfortable in your own classroom with this type of training?

Did you know that Educational Interpreters are required to pass a National Level written and performance exam that requires CEU's to maintain this authorization every 5 years? Or that there are specialized AAS/BA degree requirements also? The only way one can pass the beginning level of the AAS is to have a minimum of 3.0 gpa. If a class grade is lower than a"B" the student is failed and has to start that class over again the next year in order to graduate?

Curious to hear from all of you!!!

• Re: How many do consider deaf and hard of hearing when we discuss 21st century updates?
    David Brewer New User

I think we have a long way to go to engage general education on the 21st Century Skills agenda.  Along those same lines, youth with disabilities continue to experience barriers getting access to general ed. coursework, to age appropriate transition assessment, inidivualized planning, and effective services to prepare them for the emerging workforce.  For students with hearing impairments, schools have a responsibility to overcome communication issues.  In the initial blog post for this group, there is a scene of the sort of communication.  Thank you for your work as a fellow parent and professional.

• Re: How many do consider deaf and hard of hearing when we discuss 21st century updates?
    rachelpowers New User

I am a teacher of Deaf and Hard of Hearing students and in my work I have tried to include as much technology as possible to give these students access.  With the right supports, a deaf or hard of hearing student can do well in the public school.  However, it takes thinking outside the box and a strong IEP team.

I am new to thinkfinity..  Thanks for your post. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points