3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2012 9:52 PM by himler RSS

What features of Wonderopolis are particularly important to highlight during training sessions?

Sheila New User
Currently Being Moderated

Are there “wow” factors that will be especially appealing and useful? How might you introduce the feature to participants? What recommendations could you make for its use?

• Re: What features of Wonderopolis are particularly important to highlight during training sessions?
    Wswcj New User

The feature that I find most helpful is at the top tool bar.  I can click on WONDER and find a topic that fits my class.This opens up the possibility for the students to go into inquiry mode.  They can watch a video on the topic being wondered about. This multimedia approach is a very engaging tool. Then for those who are able to read, I can encourage comprehension.  The additional links help give background knowledge.  Over all I can present one topic that fits many standards.  A great launch into academic topics.

• Re: What features of Wonderopolis are particularly important to highlight during training sessions?
    tami New User

I really love the Wonderopolis site because it uses social media (you tube videos) etc, and presents the facts to the "wonder" question in a very child-friendly way.  The students are motivated to hear about the facts behind the science (or the wonder of the day) and are enthusiastic to explore more!

I also love that the facts are linked to further resources to provide background knowledge and are printable (can be used at a later date to follow-up).  The final "wow" is that the information is presented, in many ways, by children.  I think the students get excited because they realize they can do science and it can be FUN!

himler New User

Fantastic question, Sheila!  Wonderopolis has many outstanding features and I am excited to hear the responses that your post receives.

One thing that I like to share with educators is that Wonderopolis does not have any hard and fast rules; there is not a wrong way to use Wonderopolis!  You can use Wonderopolis to provide fresh daily content each and every day or choose specific Wonders of the Day to support cross-curricular activites and units of study.  The entire Wonder of the Day can be used or simply choose specific features that best fit the lesson or current topic. Teachers have the freedom to use Wonderopolis in the way that best facilitates engaged student learning.

Again, great question!  Looking forward to many more responses!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points