ISTE 2013, the annual conference exploring educational technology, kicks off Sunday, June 23, in San Antonio. If you are attending, be sure to check out these sessions featuring the ReadWriteThink site:
- ReadWriteThink: Encouraging Reading, Writing, and Thinking across the Curriculum, [Concurrent Session : Lecture], Wednesday, 6/26/2013, 11:45am–12:45pm CDT, in SACC 001A, with Lisa Fink
- A Day with ReadWriteThink.org: Tools, Apps, Technology across the Curriculum, [Concurrent Session : BYOD], on Wednesday, 6/26/2013, 1:15pm–2:15pm CDT, in SACC 008AB, with Lisa Fink
Also don’t miss NCTE President Sandy Hayes, on Monday, June 24, at 2:30pm, in SACC 217D for her session, Mashup and Remix: Reading, Writing, Research, and Reaching the World. Hear Mila Fuller, NCTE Deputy Executive Director, on The Impact of Graphic Organizers on the Persuasive Writing Process, on Wednesday, June 26, 10:15am-11:15am, in SACC 101.
To learn more about other Thinkfinity partners and activities in San Diego, join the ISTE Conference 2013 group. And for even more summer-friendly literacy activities, just keep reading!
- New Podcast: Discover a love for lizards with the nonfiction and fiction books in our Chatting About Books podcast.
- New Lesson: Amelia Bedelia Up Close! Closely Reading a Classic Story (for grades 1–2)
- New Strategy Guide: Get Close to Think Deeply: Creating Primary-Level Close Readings (for teachers of grades 1–2)
- Watch our video to learn about Using ReadWriteThink to Address CCSS and Engage Adolescent Learners.
- Students can create Venn diagrams that contain two or three overlapping circles with our newly updated tool.
- Help kids and teens beat the summer slide with our summer learning resources.
From the Calendar
- June 23: The first typewriter patent was awarded in 1868. Students take part in an inquiry-based study that compares typewriters to computers. (For grades 3–12)
- June 25: Children’s book author Eric Carle was born on this day in 1929.After reading one of Eric Carle’s books, students create a torn paper collage or a word collage. (For grades 3–6)
- June 27: Helen Keller was born in 1880.In the spirit of Helen Keller, students explore the American Sign Language Browser from Michigan State University and try using a few signs. (For grades 5–12)
- June 28: Esther Forbes, author of Johnny Tremain, was born in 1891.Students explore the genre of historical fiction by writing original works and comparing all of the finished pieces. (For grades 3–12)
- June 29: David Wiesner’s book June 29, 1999 showcases this day.Students explore the delightful illustrations in Wiesner’s book and identify elements that make the emotions in the story obvious to someone reading the book. (For grades 3–6)
- Next month, find lesson plans and activities on Independence Day, Thoreau, Hemingway, and more!
If you have feedback or questions about ReadWriteThink, please contact us.