Updated: September 2, 2012
A group or space can be an excellent way to connect colleagues at your school, educators within your state, or community members with a common interest.
Groups can be created by any member on any topic. Since this community is primarily focused on education and technology, we are hoping your groups will address one or both of these topics. We also encourage teachers to create a group that is solely for one or more of their classes.
Spaces are created, maintained, and managed by the Verizon Thinkfinity Community Staff. Spaces are a great way to connect with global Thinkfinity community members, find answers to your questions, or explore the many training resources provided by Verizon Thinkfinity.
Finding a Group or Space
Select Browse > Places in the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page, and use the search filters to locate a group or space that interests you. Alternatively, select Places from the main navigation bar.
Joining a Group
Groups can be open to everyone, open to members only, private, or secret. To join a group:
- Locate a group that interests you.
- Select Join this group on the right side of the group navigation bar.
Note: In open groups, you will immediately appear as a member on the Members tab. In members only or private groups, the owner of the group will need to approve you as a member.
- Once you have joined, you will receive confirmation either by a blue pop up at the bottom of your screen (for open groups) or in your inbox once your membership is approved.
Following a Space
1. Locate a space that interests you. The Verizon Thinkfinity Community staff maintains several spaces that might be relevant to you.
2. Select Follow in the upper right corner of the navigation bar.
3. You will see a blue bar appear along the bottom of the page notifying you that you are now following the space. Updates to this space will appear in your Activity Stream.
Posting a New Discussion to a Group or Space
- Navigate to the main group or community page; from the Action sidebar select Start a discussion.
- Enter a title for your discussion. If the discussion is a question, select Mark this discussion as a question. People who respond will receive points within the community.
- Enter your discussion content and select tag words for your discussion.
Note: Tag words allow your discussion to be easily searched and located by interested community members. Think of a tag as a simple category name. You can categorize your documents, discussions, and blog posts with any word or phrase that makes sense.
- When you have completed your discussion post, select Post Message at the bottom of the page.
Replying to a Discussion on a Group or Community Page
- To read a discussion, click on the title of the discussion. Replies to a discussion are listed below the initial post. The date of the initial post can be found in the upper left corner of the discussion window above the title. Feel free to reply to discussions from any time period. By replying, it will bump the discussion back to the top of the list and might catch someone else's attention.
- To reply to a discussion post, select Reply in the bottom right corner of the discussion window, write your reply, and select Post Message. Your reply will appear in the list of replies below the initial post.
Creating a New Blog Post in a Group
- From the main group page where you would like to create a blog, select Create a Blog Post from the Action sidebar. Please note that you must be a member of a group to create a blog post if the group is a members only group.
- Enter a title and the content for your blog post. You can add links, images, and more using the toolbar at the top of the content box.
- Add tags, simple category words that help organize your posts and make them more easily searchable to other community members.
- Change Extend Options by clicking the plus sign to the bottom left of the page. Here, you can add a publish date and time or change commenting options for your post.
- Select Publish. Selecting Save or Save and Continue will create a draft of your post.
Commenting on Blogs
- From the main group page, select Content and then filter by selecting Blog Posts.
- Select the blog post that you wish to comment on.
- From this window, you can view the comments already published about this post or select Add a comment to add your own thoughts.
- If you add a comment, make sure to select Add Comment at the bottom of the dialogue box in order to publish your comment. In some cases, a group's manager must approve comments before they are published.
Create a Poll in your Personal Space or a Group
- From the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page, select Create > Poll.
- Choose a location, such as the default Your Polls, a group, or if you don't see your group listed select Browse for more places.
- Enter your question in the Title text box. The poll description is optional.
- Enter your answer choices. There is a minimum of 2 choices and a maximum of 10. You can also add images.
- The lifespan of a poll is defined by the Voting Starts and Voting Ends options. Under Voting Starts, you may select Immediately or choose a specific start date. Under Voting Ends, you may select to close it manually, choose a number of days to keep the poll open, or select a specific date for it to end. During the period between a poll's start and end dates, it will appear in the forums and members can vote. After the end date, voting is closed, but the poll is still visible.
- Add Tags that will help users locate your poll within the community.
- Select Create.
Note: You can also create a poll from a group page. Under Actions, choose Create a poll.
Starting a Group
Before you start a group, it is a good idea to see if there is a group already created that meets your needs. Select Browse > Places in the dark red navigation bar and search Social groups using keywords that describe the kind of group you are interested in starting. If there is no such group available and you wish to start your own group, select Create > Places > Group from the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page.
When you start a group, you will want to invite friends to join you, begin discussions, and upload documents. We ask that group owners be willing to actively maintain their group by answering members' questions and posting fresh content. Visit your group frequently to answer questions and post new material. Inactive groups will be notified and their content will either be archived or deleted.
When you start a group, a Community Host will contact you to answer any questions you may have.
Invite Others to Join Your Group
- From the Actions menu, select Invite people to join this group or Invite friends to join.
- Enter users' email addresses or import them, add a personalized message, and select Send Invitation.