Updated: August 26, 2012
Back to Help Center Index >
The Thinkfinity Community's Direct Message tool allows you to contact community members even if you don't know their email addresses. Follow the directions below to send and reply to direct messages. Before August 2012, Direct Messages were called Private Messages. You can only send Direct Messages to those people who are your "friends" within the community.
Sending a New Direct Message:
- Select Inbox on the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Select Send Direct Message, located in the upper right corner. To enter the recipient's username you may either use the "To" field or click on Select People which will open a box allowing you to locate members by selecting the appropriate tab: Browse, Friends, Search, or Newest.
- Type your message into the main body window.
- Select Send to deliver your completed message. An email notification will be sent to the recipient's regular email, and your message will appear in his/her community inbox. Note: You can only send Direct Messages to those people who are your "friends" within the community. Learn more: How To: Friend a Colleague
Reading and Replying to a Direct Message
- Click on the link provided in the email sent to your Web-based email service. Alternatively, you can log into the Thinkfinity Community and select Inbox on the dark red navigation bar.
- In your inbox, filter your results to view Direct Messages. Then, select the message you wish to read.
- You will then be able to reply to the person who sent you the message by selecting "Reply to this message" located below the message.
Note: You only can delete a direct message that you create. To delete a direct message, open the message and click on the replies link to the right of "Latest activity" located below the message. Warning: This will allow you to delete the direct message and all of its replies. If you are sure you want to proceed, click "Delete Direct Message." Are you sure you want to delete the direct message and all of its comments?
Note: After you delete a direct message you created, it also will be deleted from the inbox of the people who received the message.
Note: You can not delete a direct message that you receive from another member. However, you can check the box that says "Unread Only," and that will prevent you from seeing messages that you have read previously.