5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2011 11:52 PM by thebest RSS

How can you teach vocabulary through any video???

thebest New User
Currently Being Moderated

Hello.. I'm mileiby

I expect your answer...

Thanks...

• Re: How can you teach vocabulary through any video???
    amfgordon New User

Hello Mileiby-

The use of video can be a very powerful tool to engage students in the learning process as well as provide a benefit to visual learners. Some simple strategies might be to create a list of the vocabulary words and have students use those words and take notes during the video to try to create meaning and context around each of the words. For younger students it might be beneficial to have them divide the list and group students so that they have only one word to focus on and then can discuss meaning with their assigned word group after the video. Students can also use video as a product themselves to create a representation of words through the use of images and video. You might also try searching for videos and other activities already created on the vocabulary topics you are teaching. I found many resources just simply typing vocabulary into the Thinkfinity.org search box.

Good Luck!

lcash New User

One of my favorite tools in this area is Animoto. Students or teachers can create simple videos with words and pictures that convey the meaning of the word. An easy way to do this is to convert powerpoint slides to jpeg images to be added into Animoto.

wizzlewolf New User

Students can learn and hone vocabulary skills in so many ways with video. Years ago, I realized that if I made a video for a lesson, the kids would pay attention and learn more just because it is a video! Here is an example of just one of the videos I use with my 9th grade art classes. It is a simple video. I only used one photo and narrated the lesson prep. In this one "Compare and Contrast" video assignment, you can hear me throwing around all kinds of vocabulary and words the kids need to know for art and life in general. I hope this helps to give you ideas.

Here is the link for the video:

Compare and Contrast Ceramics  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjx7Z76WQ6k

:-)

Sheree

thebest New User

Hello everybody....

Thank you so much!!!

I'm going to take into account your great ideas.....

Thanks for your opinion....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points