6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 4:17 PM by Lynne Hoffman RSS

Teaching about social networking

Khorn Novice
Currently Being Moderated

Great link to the video on social networking.

http://thinkfinity.org/social-networking

• Teaching about social networking
    christine Apprentice

As a matter of fact, I believe that video may have been posted a while ago — but the content is still helpful and relevant. If you like that video, you should check out our complete feature on Common Sense Media, with additional videos and resources. Common Sense Media is a partner of Verizon Thinkfinity that helps teachers, parents, and kids learn more about online safety.

There's also a great conversation going on in the community with additional resources: What are some good Thinkfinity lessons that teach about Internet safety (for example, cyberbullying)?

enjoy!

Christine

Khorn Novice

Please do check out the all the Supporting Partners (top gold bar on Thinkfinity.org. under About Us) There are many sources there in addition to Common Sense.  These are our supporting Partners who provide materials in addition to our consortium of Partners. 

While the link previously referred to was posted some time go, I wanted to remind many of you prior to the end of school to play it again before the students leave to spend a summer in a realm of social networking.

Yes, please do enjoy!

dbolin Novice

Social media and networking is becoming an increasing part of our everyday lives, so I think it's important to teach our children how to use it appropriately.

I was thinking about this last night, as I was reading Erik Larson's new book, In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. It's a great book (as are all of Larson's books). The gist of what I was reading last night was how it was possible for such sweeping changes to take place in Germany without the rest of the world - and many of Germany's own citizens - realizing it.

Given the methods of communication back then, the author notes that it was possible for Americans to vacation in Berlin and have a great time without having any idea of what was really going on. This made me realize how much things have changed today, when we can witness changes taking place in the Middle East in realtime via Twitter. It made me wonder what effect such technology might have had on the course of world events if it had existed back in the 1930s...and what effect it will have on similar events that could/might take place even today.

Good food for thought!

Duane

• Re: Teaching about social networking
    mrgdevito New User

It drives me crazy, social networking and education.  There are some amazing things that can/could be done with it if we were allowed to utilize it in school.  I'm considering giving Twitter a go with my classes next year; if the state doesn't block it before then. 

The problem is kids have to know how to and not to use social networking.  There is nothing wrong with it if used properly.  Parents and teachers alike must do a better job of teaching students how to intelligently use social networking.  We are supposed to be teaching 21 Century Skills, and this would certainly be one of them, yes?

• Re: Teaching about social networking
    Lynne Hoffman Apprentice

Here is a link to another interesting article on social networking for kids:

http://mashable.com/2010/10/11/social-networks-children/

This information was provided by Kristen Ham in a post in the group The specified item was not found..

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...