3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 2:18 PM by c.juliane RSS

Beginning reading books

eburton New User
Currently Being Moderated

What are beginning reading books?

Does your child know his/her alphabet out of order and the sounds each letter makes? Children are ready to read at different ages. Some are ready at 3 (but not most) and others still lack interest at 6. However, most children are ready for beginning reading books when they know their letters and the sounds they make as well as show an interest in reading.

How will I know when my child is showing an interest in reading?

• Does your child pick up books pointing to a word and asking what it says or point to signs or words on familiar products in and around your home?
  • Does your child point to each word instead of groups of words while attempting to read or while pretend reading?
  • Does your child enjoy re-read familiar stories or memorizing them?
  • Either way, make sure to have plenty of books in your home.  Studies have confirmed having books in your home alone will make a difference in your child’s reading success.

What does a beginning reader look like?

Beginning reading books will motivate your child by providing them with immediate reading success.

• Beginning reading books include simple repetitive sentences with only one minor change on each page. This might look like…She went to the park. She went to the house.
  • They focus on commonly used words such as the, and, a, there, this which account for approximately 70% of the words we read in all books.
  • They should include one sentence per page.
  • Text is heavily supported by illustrations in beginning reading books.
  • Beginning reading book topics should motivate students to want to learn to read.
  • Beginning reading books should incorporate reading comprehension questions.

Need beginning reading books? Check out Stepping Stones Together for immediate access to 90 beginning readers.

Is there anything else? What beginning reading programs have you used? Which have you enjoyed?

• Beginning reading books
    Tammy Dewan Novice

I have a pre, pre reader.  I have found with my 21 month year old that I have to mix it up.  Before bed he picks out about 6 books and lays them on the bed.  He selects which order to read them.  We usually have an Elmo book, an I Spy book, an animal book and books that make noise.  He is just learning about the concepts of print and recognizing letters when they are represented in the alphabet sequence.  He realizes that if he sees the combination of letters that there is a song that goes with them "A, B, C, D...now I know my ABC's next time won't you sing with me". 

With my other two daughters, they seemed to naturally learn how to read without a structured reading program before Kindergarten. 

When I taught 1st grade, I used a combination of reading programs.  I used CLIP (Collaborative Literacy Intervention Project) with my kiddos that needed to learn strategies.  I used Junior Great Books to engage students in good discussions about books.  I also sprinkled in mini phonics lessons throughout the day to teach them rules. 

I think you have to tailor your reading program to meet the needs of your students.

Tammy

• Re: Beginning reading books
    c.juliane New User

Came across a good website for children to engage in language type activities a while ago. Will leave a link below.

reading games

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...