9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2011 10:25 PM by Lynne Hoffman RSS

Diigo vs Delicious - Do use one, or both?

christine Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

I'm curious whether people in this group use Diigo or Delicious—or both. What are your favorite features?

Christine

• Re: Diigo vs Delicious - Do use one, or both?
    jviguerie New User

I use Diigo. We have several teachers in my district who are part of a group and share.

cmuller Novice

Hi Christine,

I am sorry but am not familiar with either of these diigo or delicious.  But yes, I had delicious meals today- at lunch and at dinner. 

cmuller

Marcia Torgrude Apprentice

I am familiar with both and was using Delicious but use neither now that we have Favorite Resources within Thinkfinity Community. In fact, when I provide trainings, I tell people that the Favorite Resources using the Add to Thinkfinity button is Delicious but even better because you are sharing with educators in an educational network. More will see my favorites here than they would have ever seen them in Delicious.

cgasell Apprentice

Hi Marcia,

It is great that you are showing participants how to add the "Add to Thinkfinity" button and bookmark websites during your trainings. Awesome! Personally, I am a Diigo user, but cross post to Delicious. I have created a network of educators on both sites, so I find that posting to both is better for me. It is easy to set up cross posting from one to the other.

The reason I use Diigo is for the powerful highlighting and annotating tools. When teachers use these tools with students, they are practicing important reading skills. I've seen teachers use Diigo for students to summarize articles online, debate an issue through collaborative annotation, and share research with each other.

In order to get the most out of Diigo, I suggest that teachers upgrade to a free education account which includes a student console.

Crystal Gasell

Verizon Thinkfinity Community Host

christine Apprentice

cmuller,

Glad to hear it! A delicious meal may be more memorable than a website, no matter how fancy or functional...

I tried both and neither "stuck" for me. I have a silly hangup about installing software that uses my browser. I'm not sure why, but it's just one step more complex than I want to go. I really love web tools that can keep it simple. I see the value in both tools, so I was curious if there were features in either that were truly indispensible...

Christine

Lynne Hoffman Apprentice

I've heard of Diigo but never used it.  Prior to Verizon launching its Community, the Virginia Thinkfinity Leadership Team used Delicious to bookmark sites appropriate for trainings and to share with teachers as WOW resources.  Our bookmarks are located at http://www.delicious.com/vathinkfinity.  However, now that it is so easy to create favorite resources within the community and save them to one's profile, I don't see where Delicious is that useful anymore for our purposes.  I like the Favorite Resources in the Verizon Community much better than Delicious.  Plus, there is so much available on the web, that you can spend half your time trying to remember where you bookmarked your resources.  I have maintained a Portaportal for many years, just because it was one of the first web-based bookmarking sites, and I find it so easy to use.  I update my resources there occasionally and have my portaportal shared with any teacher who requests curriculum resources.
    Lynne

Penny New User

I hve both, but just use my Delicious.  I love the tagging and network features.  Several teachers are in my network.  I will often lose track of time looking to see what others have tagged recently or what the most popular bookmarks are.

Penny

cgasell Apprentice

Recently, there has been quite a buzz around Delicious shutting down. On December 17th, Delicious posted this message on their blog reassuring users that they would not be shutting down, but finding an ideal home for Delicious.

Surrounding the buzz, over 30 million bookmarks were moved over to Diigo in one day. According to their Twitter feed, Diigo is very busy these days. I believe Diigo will stick around because they offer a paid service that helps cover their costs. They also offer a free education account.

Crystal Gasell

Verizon Thinkfinity Community Host

Lynne Hoffman Apprentice

The web site Free Technology for Teachers featured a blog entry mid-December that stated Yahoo may either get rid of Delicious or sell it to another company.  If you are concerned about losing bookmarks in Delicious, you may want to follow the directions found in the article How to Prepare for the Delicious Shut Down

Another possibility is to save your bookmarks under My Stuff/Favorite Resources in the Thinkfinity Community.  Verizon plans for the Thinkfinity Community to be around a long time.  The only drawback is that you will have to save each bookmark individually as opposed to doing a full import.  However, that gives you a chance to throw out the old and keep what is most important.  If you're like me, I have so many bookmarks saved in cyberspace, now some of those web sites are obsolete.  So consider this an early start to "spring cleaning."

Has anyone else read anything about Delicious disappearing from the web?

Lynne

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...