1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 12:43 AM by Tammy Dewan RSS

How can parents protect children from "sneaky" advertising?

Lynne Hoffman Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

Have you noticed during a 30-minute TV show that about a third of the time you are watching commercials.  Recently, I watched a TV movie in a 3-hour time slot and the movie itself was 120 minutes.  That's a lot of commercials!  I realize television pays for programming through advertising, but sometimes it seems the ads are longer than the actual shows.

What's more of a concern is the content of the advertising especially during "family" hours. Common Sense Media has posted several blogs to make parents savvy about new "tricks" in social media advertising to attract kids.  See Sneaky Ways Advertisers Target Kids | Common Sense Media to learn how "as technology advances -- and kids gravitate toward new programs and digital devices -- advertisers have found sneakier ways to capture kids' attention."

I also like an older postSelling to Kids Tips | Common Sense Media that offers parents a list of tips to use in teaching children of all ages how advertising works and can exploit kids.

And what about those Super Bowl ads?  Check out Super Bowl Ads 2014.  Each year the Super Bowl audience grows, the ads increase in cost, and people of all ages are enticed to buy products through "super" clever marketing.  To a consumer, the hype surrounding Super Bowl ads often exceeds the sports fans' enthusiasm for their favorite team.

So what should parents do to educate their children about social media advertising?  How can parents protect their children from being exploited by marketing strategies? 

• Re: How can parents protect children from "sneaky" advertising?
    Tammy Dewan Novice
    Currently Being Moderated

Being a mother of 4, this is all very interesting information. I know I get annoyed by commercials and ads but I haven't thought about just how sneaky the advertising companies are and the impact it has on kids. It is a bit creepy that the ads vary depending on the location of the kid. For someone other than family members tracking the where-a-bouts of your child is strange. I also thought about how young children don't realize when the show breaks and the commercial begins. I think it is a great idea to set the timer to show the kids that they just watched 3 minutes of advertising. This makes you even more thankful to PBS where there are only limited sponsor breaks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...