2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 9:25 PM by Jeanne Rogers RSS

Is learning affected by the absence of the regular teacher?

Jeanne Rogers Apprentice
Currently Being Moderated

I overheard someone today speak about several high school teachers who supposedly informed their students that they wouldn’t be at work today; the day before Thanksgiving break.  Some indicated that there would be substitutes and if the students wanted to stay home, it was okay.  “I have to clean the house” shared one.  “I have cooking to do” said another.

Contract language in some school districts indicate that no person shall have the day prior to or the day after a holiday off.  School districts feel that this is an extra burden creating a hardship on the staff and finding talented substitutes is a difficult task.

Is learning affected by the absence of the regular teacher? Do you feel this is the norm, or an unusual situation?

• Re: Is learning affected by the absence of the regular teacher?
    dbutcher New User
    Currently Being Moderated

My goodness, I think that this attitude would certainly affect student effort and learning. What makes teachers think they can tell students they are going to take the day off for such a trivial reason even if they are?  And to even suggest that students may stay home is telling them their education is not as important as the teacher's clean house.

It is this attitude that has caused some districts to write their teachers' contracts that no teacher may take the day prior to or the day after a holiday off.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...