4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2013 5:23 PM by lmcshane RSS

Summer Reading 2013

maria_sosa Novice
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone. Here at AAAS we recently did a story about summer reading. On SB&F, our review journal, we posted a list of 60 recommended science books for all ages that would be perfect for summer reading. We also did a story on Eureka Alert's Science for Kids that highlighted 10 of our top recommendations for kids in Grades K-4. So I thought it might be a good idea to start a discussion about science books that we would recommend for kids during the summer. When I compiled my list, I looked for books that were on topics that were especially engaging because I want kids to really grow to love reading. Although I think it's important to challenge them too. What are your ideas on this?

• Re: Summer Reading 2013
    lmcshane Novice

Thank you so much for this list!  I was always the kid who wanted more true-life stories, books on animals and science.  I will refer to this list for this summer's book order.  Today - several kids came in with their assigned summer lists and they include much more non-fiction this year - due to Common Core.  Also, a number of fourth graders are scheduled to complete weeky Study Island assignments.  This should be an interesting summer!

http://blog.edmentum.com/tags/study-island

• Re: Summer Reading 2013
    kirstin New User

I highly recommend Eliot Schrefer's Endangered, which is a young adult fiction title set in the war-torn Democratic Republic of the Congo. It features Sophie, a half-American, half-Congolese teenager visiting her mother's bonobo sanctuary. After Sophie illegally buys a young bonobo off the street, she is tasked with his care during her visit. But when guerrillas attack the sanctuary, she finds herself alone and on the run with the ape equivalent of a toddler. How far will Sophie go to protect her young charge, particularly when her own safety is in jeopardy?

Endangered is a good choice for readers who might not enjoy a non-fiction science book, but which might spark an interest in science or social studies nonetheless. Readers will definitely be inspired to learn more about these matriarchal great apes and possibly also about the politics of a nation where human rights violations are a regular part of life. I'd definitely recommend this for high school students and for mature middle schoolers. Atrocities do occur in the book (although not in gruesome detail) and more are threatened, so sensitive readers should be aware of this.

For those who have already enjoyed this book, you might be excited to learn, as I was, that Schrefer has novels planned on the other three great apes, as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points