6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 12:24 PM by cmuller RSS

How do you celebrate reading everyday?

amfgordon New User
Currently Being Moderated

My son came home with his list for all the special themes next week in honor of Read Across America and Dr. Seuss's birthday on March 1st. They will be sharing their favorite Seuss stories and even dressing in unique ways to celebrate certain books. The Community Hub also has a featured blog Read Across America with Dr. Seuss on March 1 this week.

So how do you celebrate Read Across America on March 1st and every day in your classrooms? Share some of the ways you inspire your children to love to read!

• Re: How do you celebrate reading everyday?
    jonihorst New User

For March 1st my fourth graders get to make a crazy hat, we get to eat birthday cake and listen to a story read by the school secretary.  For the rest of the month of March, I will call out the word S.Q.U.I.R.T. and the students pull out their favorite book and read until I call out Stop S.Q.U.I.R.T.  This stands for Sustained Quiet Uninterrupted Reading Time and we do this at any given point in the day.  Other activities for the month will be to create a poster board of the book they are reading, bring in props to share that help to share more ideas about the book, and hold a book event to share their book. 

Jane Brown Master

I always liked silent reading time and the opportunity to model it for students. We, as teachers, were to stop whatever we were doing and read silently...no grading papers during "Silent Reading" time.  :-)

You have several other great activities set up for your students.  Have you ever tried RWT's Cube Creator interactive for students to create a cube about the book they are reading (they can work in small groups on this project too).  Students can print their work, assemble their cube, and display it on a shelf to interest others in ready a favorite book.

snituama Novice

I used to read aloud to my girls when they were younger - a chapter at a time - on the front porch in the evenings spring through fall....that practice has sadly gone by the wayside as they are now tweens and prefer to burrow into their own novels in the privacy of their rooms.  We still do enjoy listening to audio books as a family on long car trips  and vacations. I know I'm blessed to have two independent readers with their own taste in books, but do miss those magical flights into the world of Thornton Burgess ~ the Green Meadow, the Green Forest, and the Smiling Pool where Striped Chipmunk plays a trick on Happy Jack and Shadow the Weasel almost catches Happy Jack for lunch....

Lynne Hoffman Apprentice

I think reading is very important and if you start reading to children when they are young, hopefully reading will become a lifelong enjoyable experience for them.  My grown daughters still keep books on their nightstands and read before they go to sleep each evening.  They both have jobs that require reading all day, yet I am pleased that they find time for pleasure reading.

My younger daughter is a part-time librarian for a charter school in Sweden so her reading interests have led to a career.  She also represents several publishers and sells children's books across Europe.  This month she will be in Paris to locate an agent to publish her own young adult novels.

I highly recommend celebrating Reading Across America today and everyday.  As a former English teacher, I see great value in reading because it opens worlds to everyone.  There are no boundaries!

cmuller Novice

Hi Amy Gordon,

I celebrate reading by reading every night before going to bed. I read romance novels and mysteries.  My favorite authors are Tony Hillerman, Danielle Steel and Laura Alden.  In my younger years my mother read  some books and later Agatha Christie mysteries to me.

Christine Muller

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...