The holidays are full of childhood Wonder. What a great time to challenge students to Wonder about the holidays and family traditions! We’ve included some ideas to get you started WONDERing in a Winter WONDERLand, including a list of archived holiday Wonders.
Share your ideas and activities in this discussion forum, and you could see your name in lights as part of the Thinkfinity Holiday Challenge!
Holiday Wonders to Explore as a Class or Family:
· Wonder #441: What Makes Something a Holiday Classic?
· Wonder #427: What’s Your Favorite Holiday Cookie?
· Wonder #78: How Do People Celebrate the Winter Holidays?
· Wonder #812: Who Invented Fruitcake?
· Wonder #418: Why is it Called “Black Friday”?
· Wonder #443: How Do You Make Candles?
· Wonder #800: Is It Really Better to Give Than to Receive?
· Wonder #428: Who Was St. Nick?
· Wonder #439: Why Do We Wrap Presents?
· Wonder #448: How Did Candy Canes Get Their Shape?
· Wonder #802: Will Your Tongue Really Stick to a Frozen Flagpole?
· Wonder #805: How Do You Warm Your Tummy in the Winter?
· Wonder #80: Why Do People Kiss Under Mistletoe?
· Wonder #46: What is a Cornucopia?
· Wonder #417: Is It Thanksgiving Without Cranberries?
· Wonder #90: Why Do People Make New Year’s Resolutions?
· Wonder #53: Why Do We Eat Turkey on Thanksgiving?
· Wonder #541: Why Aren’t There More Holidays?
1.) Share one of these holiday inspired photos with your students and see how many Wonder questions they can come up with, just by looking at the pictures. Post your own Wonder questions or classroom ideas, and you could see your name in lights, as part of the Thinkfinity Holiday Challenge!
2.) Using “Wonder #541 Why Aren’t There More Holidays?” for inspiration, have students invent their own holidays with unique traditions. Have students write a fictional story about how they celebrated their fictional holiday as a family. Be sure to have them include images, drawings or staged pictures. Share some ideas of your own, and you could see your name in lights as part of the Thinkfinity Holiday Challenge.
3.) Conduct a holiday inspired experiment. Using “Wonder #802 Will Your Tongue Really Stick to a Frozen Flagpole?” complete the “Try it Out” experiment using washcloths and your school’s flagpole. Create a video of your experiment. Share some ideas of your own, and you could see your name in lights as part of the Thinkfinity Holiday Challenge.
Happy Holidays from Wonderopolis!