Recently, the History News Network used crowd sourcing to find the ten most important documents in American History. They eliminated the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution,and the Bill of Rights, as these would be on anyone's list.
We thought Thinkfinity teachers would be interested in this list. How many of these documents do you teach?
- Common Sense (1776)
- The Federalist Papers (1784-1788)
- Northwest Ordinance (1787)
- Seneca Falls "Declaration of Sentiments" (1848)
- Emancipation Proclamation (1863)
- Gettysburg Address (1863)
- Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (1868)
- Woodrow Wilson's Fourteen Points (1918)
- George C. Marshall's Marshall Plan speech (1947)
- Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech (1963)
We also want to point out that EDSITEment has lessons built around the close reading of nine out of ten of these documents.