Verizon Thinkfinity: Communication Package
Suggested Website/Newsletter Text:
Title: Helping Students Understand the Historical Significance of 9/11 and the death of Osama bin Laden
President Barack Obama announced Sunday night that mastermind of 9/11, Osama bin Laden, was killed in Pakistan by U.S. forces on May 1, 2011.
Many students were only toddlers when 9/11 occurred. To help them understand the significance of recent events and how they impact the United States and nations around the world, Thinkfinity.org and content partners National Geographic, Smithsonian National Museum of American History and others offer classroom lessons, artifacts and digital archives listed below.
Teaching the events of 9/11 can be a unique challenge. Are there resources you'd like to have to teach about this event that you can't find online? Add your ideas and resource needs to our Thinkfinity Community discussion: What tools do you need to teach about 9/11?
Thinkfinity.org Recommended Resources:
- September 11: Bearing Witness to History encourages students to search more than 100 objects related to the events of 9/11 as well listen to an oral history about the event. (7-12)
- The September 11 Digital Archive gives students access to more than 150,000 digital items related to 9/11, including images, emails and other electronic communications. (7-12)
- Students’ Response to 9/11: A Documentary Report encourages students to reflect on the response to the 9/11 attacks and can be used to further incorporate the recent events involving the death of Osama bin Laden. (9-12)
- Explore the Pentagon 9/11 Memorial, Flight 93 Memorial and National September 11 Memorial and Museum. (6-12)
1. Help students understand the historical significance of 9/11 with Thinkfinity.org classroom resources. http://bit.ly/jX9cjV
2. Encourage students to reflect on the 9/11 response and recent events involving Osama bin Laden. #thinkfinityhttp://bit.ly/jX9cjV
3. Explore the National September 11 Memorial and Museum with your students. #thinkfinityhttp://bit.ly/iU47NN
Suggested Facebook Posts:
1. Need help explaining the events of 9/11 and the death of Osama bin Laden to your students? Check out Thinkfinity.org’s classroom resources.
2. Experience the events of 9/11 with Thinkfinity.org’s collection of primary sources, digital archives and classroom activities.
3. September 11: Bearing Witness to History encourages students to explore 100s of objects related to 9/11 so they can experience the events first-hand.