Verizon Thinkfinity understands how important it is to maintain member privacy throughout the Thinkfinity Community. Modifying the privacy settings on your individual member profiles is a quick and easy way to control only the information you wish to share with your friends and colleagues.
Modifying your Profile and Privacy Settings
- From the gold navigation bar at the top of the page, select My Stuff > Profile.
- Choose Edit profiles and privacy from the Actions menu on the right side of the page.
- From the Edit Profile tab, you have the opportunity to enter as much information about yourself, your school or your special areas of expertise as you might like to share with the community. However, please keep in mind that completing this information does not mean it will automatically be available for viewing by others. The privacy settings, located beneath the Privacy Settings tab, will allow you to specify exactly what information you would like to be visible and who will be able to view it.
- Select the Privacy Settings tab to change your current privacy settings. You may choose to share your personal profile information with Everyone, Registered Users (members of the Thinkfinity Community), Friends or just Yourself. Use the drop down menu located to the right of each entry to make your selections. Click on Save at the bottom of the page to apply your preferences.
You may return to this page and change your profile and privacy settings at any time.
Visibility of your First and Last Name
As of November 18, 2010, the following member registration settings were changed:
- If you registered before this date, your first/last name defaulted to Hide (this setting is now called Yourself).
- If you registered on or after this date, your first/last name defaulted to Registered Members.
We made these changes for two reasons:
First, our members were frustrated that it was difficult to find their colleagues and friends in the Thinkfinity Community. Since most members' first and last names were hidden, searches for their name returned no results, making it impossible to find friends unless you knew their username. We received overwhelming feedback that educators expected to be able to find their friends on the community and that they expected, upon joining a community, to share their name with other members.
Second, as before, members can always change their privacy settings at any time to hide any and all information! We have even refined the privacy settings so that you can choose what information to reveal to Everyone, Registered Members, Friends, or Yourself (meaning that no one sees the information but you).
You may change this default at any time by following the directions below.
- From the My Stuff tab in the gold navigation bar choose Profile.
- Select Edit profile & privacy from the Actions menu on the right side of the page.
- Choose the Privacy Settings tab, select from the drop down menus to set your preferences, and click on Save at the bottom of the page.
Previewing Your Profile
Once you have changed your profile settings, it is a good idea to preview your profile as it is seen by others in the community.
- From the gold navigation bar, select My Stuff > Profile.
- Choose Edit profile and privacy from the Actions menu on the right side of the page.
- Select the Privacy Settings tab.
- Use the drop down menu on the right side of the screen to Preview your profile as Everyone, Registered Users, Friends and Yourself. Change your privacy settings based on what you see.
Hint: Avoid hiding too much information about yourself. The more you share the easier it will be for other people to find you.
worked on by TG, CG, JB