Updated: August 26, 2012
Back to Help Center Index >
A Bookmark is a link to any website, document, or discussion that is useful to you. Your Bookmarks live within Thinkfinity Community, so you can access them from any computer by logging into the community. Below are directions for adding a Bookmark. At the bottom of this page, we have listed additional tips for using Bookmarks within the community.
There are three ways to add a Bookmark:
1. Select Create > Bookmark on the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page. Enter the URL and select Next. Add a title, descriptive notes, and some identifying tags. Select Save. Remember, adding tags allows your resource to be quickly and easily located as your list of Bookmarks grows.
- Tip 1: It is a good idea to put a descriptive name in the Your Title field rather than the full URL.
- Tip 2: If you would like to rename or change the description of any bookmark you have saved, go to Browse > Bookmarks and click on Edit notes and tags in the Bookmark listing (icon view) or select the cog wheel icon, Actions > Edit bookmark, (in list view) to the right of the bookmark line to make your edits.
- Tip 3: You may prefer to see your Bookmarks as a list. In the top right of your Bookmark page, you may switch your view between icon view and list.
- Tip 4: When bookmarking a personal website, please mark it as Private.
Note: a personal site might be a recipe, travel site, or favorite sports page that you want to keep but which is not an educational site for sharing within the Thinkfinity Community.
2. From within a discussion or document, select Bookmark to save the resource to your Bookmarks. Note: You will also see how many others have bookmarked the discussion or document.
3. Bookmark resources using the Add to Thinkfinity button:
- In the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page, select Create > Bookmark.
- Select the Click to install link at the bottom of the Create a Bookmark popup. Follow the instructions given.
- Now, you can add bookmarks without being signed into the community by clicking on the link in your browser when you find a site you would like to add as a Bookmark. These resources will automatically be saved in your Bookmarks within the community. You will need to log into the Thinkfinity Community and select Browse > Bookmarks to view the complete list of all your bookmarks.
Additional Tips for working with Bookmarks:
- You may repeat the "Add to Thinkfinity" button install process on multiple computers, at home and work, for easy collection of bookmarks.
- Capitalize on the expertise within the Thinkfinity Community. You may search the Community to see if a bookmark for your topic has already been created. If found, you may select it to add to your bookmarks.
- When creating a new, public bookmark, create a descriptive title and use tags so that others can find it when they search.
- Go to Browse > Bookmarks > All to discover top bookmarks of the day, week, month, and year. You can click on the link to view and bookmark these sites to your own list of bookmarks.
- When bookmarking a personal page, please mark it private.
- Become a friend and follow activities of members with like interests. Their bookmarks can easily become yours.
- Maintain your bookmarks:
- Log into the Thinkfinity Community with your personal username and password.
- Select Browse > Bookmarks in the dark red navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Click on Edit or Remove links located after each favorite resource to keep your saved resources cleaned up. There is also a Visit Site button to go directly to your resource.