Updated: August 26, 2012
Back to Help Center Index >
There are many different ways to search the community. Whether you are looking for a colleague, community resources or discussions of interests, there is a way to search for it.
The directions below will help you locate resources quickly within the community.
- Enter a keyword or search phrase in the search bar located just above the gold navigation bar at the top of any community page.
- Select the red arrow next to the search bar to complete your search.
- The search results page will provide you the list of results as well as search options and filters that can be modified to narrow your search.
- Select More Options under the search bar on the search results page to restrict the search by community, project, group or person.
- Use the filters at the top of the search results page to narrow your search. Select one of the icons in the What section to restrict the search results to only discussions, blog posts or links.
- The right side of the search results page displays people who match your search criteria.
Search for a Person
- From the gold navigation bar at the top of the page, select Browse All > People.
- Using the search bar on the right side of the screen, type in a keyword or person's name and select Search People.
Depending on your results, you can use the filter on the right side of the screen to filter your results, by first letter, occupation, grade level or tags. Search results will appear on the left side of the screen. Select a person's profile picture to view their profile.
If you cannot locate a person, they may not have their full name listed or may have their name hidden for privacy, see known search bugs below.
Known Search Bugs
The Community search feature has two known bugs that can make your name hard to find:
- Last names with a single letter will not appear in search results. If you search for a name with a single letter last name (for example, Bob Z), and you use the full name in your search (search for Bob Z), it will not appear in the search results. We are working to correct this bug.
- If a member's name is hidden for privacy, it will not turn up in a search. If you have set your first/last name and email privacy settings to Hide, it may prevent other members from finding you when they search the community for your name. (Usernames are always public, so if your name is part of your username it will successfully show up in a search.)
Making Sure you Show in Search Results
If you would like to show up in a search, you can change your privacy options,.
You can make this change, or reverse it, at any time.
- In the gold navigation bar, go to My Stuff > Profile.
- In the Actions sidebar, select Edit profile and privacy.
- Click on the Privacy Settings tab .
- Click the dropdown and select either Everyone (can be found without logging in) or Registered Users (Only registered, logged in users will be able to find you).
- Select Save at the bottom of the page.
Please note that it is not possible to edit your own username at this time. If you wish to change your username it can only be done by using the Contact Us link in the community.
Search for a Favorite Resource
- From the gold navigation bar at the top of the page, select Browse All > Favorite Resources.
- Favorite resources will be displayed beginning with most recent. Using the filters at the top of the results, you can narrow your results by date or type of resource.
In order to save a resource to your favorites, select the bookmark icon to the right of the title. It is red when you have it bookmarked and gray when you do not.
Search for a Group
- Select Browse All > Groups from the gold navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Use the search box at the top of the page to locate groups by keywords. Additionally, you can click on a tag word or use the filters at the top of the search results to narrow your search and find a specific group or community of interest.
- Once you have located a group of interest, you can join that group. For more about using groups, go to How to: Use Groups.
Search Popular Tag Words
- Select Browse All > Tags from the gold navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Displayed are the 200 most popular tags in a "tag cloud." This allows you to get a quick vies of the most talked about and popular subjects.
- Use the filters at the top of the page to narrow your results by type of content as well as by community within the system.
- Click on a tag word and see results for that term at the bottom of the page.
Selecting more than one tag word will continue to narrow your results. Click the X next to the Tag word at the top of the tag cloud in order to remove that word from your results.
General Search Tips
- Enclose your search phrase in quotes to restrict results to that exact phrase.
- Use specific key terms in your search, leaving out words like "the" or "and".
- If no results are found, search using a different term. Since members select key words for their posts, discussions and documents, you might find a similar term will get the results you want.