When a community member creates a group, s/he can decide to include a blog for the group. Blog posts are a great way for groups to share information, particularly among members of that group, or post announcements. The directions below will help you create, edit and add a blog widget to your group's page.
Creating a Blog Post
- Once you have created or joined a group, navigate to the group Overview tab where you would like to create a blog post by selecting My Stuff > Groups from the gold navigation bar at the top of any community page. Note: If the group privacy is set to Members Only, you must be a member of that group to create a blog post.
- Locate the Actions menu on the right side of the screen and select Create a Blog Post.
- Enter a title and the content for your blog post. You can add links, images, and more using the editing toolbar at the top of the content pane. Add tags to help organize your posts and make them more easily searchable by the other members of your group.
- You can also add a publish date and time or change commenting options for your post by selecting the plus sign located to the left of Extended Options below your content window.
- Select Publish. Note: It's always a good idea to selecting Save or Save and Continue if you are working on your post for more than a few minutes to ensure that you don't lose any content.
Editing a Published Blog Post
- Navigate to the group where your blog post is published. Select the Blog tab at the top of the group page. (Alternatively, simply search for your blog post and select it in the search returns.)
- Select the title of the blog post you would like to edit.
- In the Actions menu on the right side of the screen, select Edit Post.
- Modify the post and select Publish.
Adding a Blog Widget for Group Announcements
If you are a group owner and would like to feature blog posts on your group Overview page, or use blog posts to post announcements and share information to your group members, consider adding a blog widget by following the directions below.
- Go to the group homepage and select the Overview tab. Then, select customize, which is a text link right next to the word Overview on the tab. Note: If you do not see this link, you are not an owner of the group and do not have permission to add a blog widget.
- Under Widgets, select Content.
- Select Recent Blog Posts. You will see a preview of the widget on the right side of the customize screen.
- Use the green, Drag to Add button to drag the widget from the preview to your main page.
- Once added, use the gray drop down arrow in the upper right hand corner of the widget and select, Edit this Widget.
- In this view, you can customize the title of the widget, the number of results and other properties specific to the widget. Select Save Proerties when complete.
- Once you have made the desired changes, make sure to select Publish Layout in the customized screen at the top of the page.