Welcome to our collection of digital learning resources for educators, compiled specially for Digital Learning Day 2013. With one click, you can access the best of our award-winning lesson plans, materials, mobile apps, and innovative leaders, as well as connect with thousands of other educators in our Thinkfinity Community.
Thinkfinity: How it can help you
Thinkfinity is Verizon Foundation's free online professional learning community providing collaboration capabilities to over 65,000 educators and experts in curriculum enhancement along with thousands of digital resources. These award-winning resources are developed by our Content Partners: leading educational organizations who bring educators a wide array of subject-specific lesson plans, primary source materials, interactive activities, videos, and games for K-12, all aligned to state standards and the common core. Thinkfinity also has Supporting Contributors who are key organizations in education and who provide videos, activities, educational games, reference materials, and more.
Be sure to search our resources by keywords or standards using the Thinkfinity Search. Don't miss the Search Community option in Thinkfinity's dark red navigation bar. Our members have searched the web and bookmarked, saved, or created the best resources they have found and/or used.
Take a little more time to explore Thinkfinity and see what else it can offer you as a professional.
Let's go mobile!
Our Content Partners have been busy developing the Best Apps for iPads, many of which are listed and described in this blog by Traci Gardner, ReadWriteThink.
In addition, check out the Verizon Foundation's exciting national STEM competition, that challenges middle and high school students to design a mobile application addressing a real issue or problem in their schools or communities (and, win $10,000 for their school!) This group, Designing Mobile Apps, provides opportunities for questions on this challenge.
Thinkfinity: Join in the Conversation or just Listen and Learn - the Choice is Yours!
Thinkfinity offers educators featured collections, discussions, and blog posts where you can be as active as you choose. Thinkfinity's homepage contains Featured Events and Blogs written by our Verizon Education Bloggers, all innovative thinkers.
Thinkfinity has several spaces within the community where educators are free to roam and learn:
- Professional Development where ISTE and VILS jointly offer live and recorded webinars to allow educators to build their own professional development plan.
- Community Hub where educators ask questions about education issues or Thinkfinity resources. Please join us in stimulating conversations about what is trending in education.
- Help Center where support is available along with great documentation.
Thinkfinity has 500+ Special Interest groups for members to join, some maintained by our valued Content Partners:
- All About Science
- Economics & Personal Finance
- Mission: Geography!
- History Explorers
- Learning Math
- Parents & Families
- Reading & Language Arts
- Recursos para docentes del castellano
- The Arts
- Wonderopolis for Educators
Some very popular groups are maintained by our Community Hosts and general members plus teachers (both K-12 and Higher Ed) who facilitate groups for student learning:
- Online Tools for Educators (750 members)
- iPad (350 members)
- Do You Google? (over 100 members)
- Florida Thinkfinity (700 members who discuss their state initiatives)
- NJ Thinkfinity (200 members)
- Integrating Technology in K-12 Classrooms (300 members)
- Many smaller special-interest groups that may interest you
- Laura Benfield, with Wonderopolis, writes in Unlock the Wonders of Learning with Digital Technology in the Classroom that the NEW digital divide is between the household (Haves) and the schools (Have Nots).
- In her blog, Curb Technology Frustrations, Katrina Allen tells how she shortens the frustrations of her technology-using colleagues with "Floor Sweeps" and "Step by Step Instructions."
- Jason Falls, a ground-breaking education visionary and one of our Speaker Series Guests, explores and explains the roles technology and social media play in 21st Century education.
Webinars for Educators
Thinkfinity has a growing list of webinars hosted by Thinkfinity's Content Partners and ISTE. These webinars vary in length, but typically run between 20 minutes and one hour. You can find them here: Webinar Index.
There is always something new at Thinkfinity. Please join us and add your knowledge to the community. Everyone has experiences and expertise to share.
Please share a comment with us: How do your see yourself and your school using Thinkfinity?